Changing the Community Name in net-snmp

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Sat Jan 25 01:07:13 CET 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> This is an update to the e-mail I previously sent out.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but the answer to the question I asked
> is within the checkcommands.cfg file. The value after the -C option should be
> the community name. Correct?

the -C option to check_snmp and all the snmp based plugins is for the
community.

If you have a relatively consistent community string(s) across devices on
your net AND/OR your are concerned about operator types/(anyone with
config viewing privileges) knowing the community string, you can use the
USERx macros.

define a USERx macros for the community string in resource.cfg and then
replace the "-C community" with "-C $USERx$".  Then the community string
is managed centrally and is not viewable on the web interface.

--

-sg