Nagios config -- not xml?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Sat Jan 25 00:26:30 CET 2003

Looks interesting.  But for my needs, I'd rather not consolidate all the
definitions into one mondo config file.  If anything, I'm trying to break my
overall config into the smallest chunks possible.

Once 2.0 is released, I intend to create hostname directories (using the
recursion feature of cfg_dir which is expected to be available), e.g.:

/usr/local/nagios/etc/configs/Solaris/myhost01

and within that directory, there would be fragments such as host.cfg,
ssh.cfg, http.cfg and whatever other services/dependencies I can put in
there.  It would be quite nice if there were some other level of
inheritance, so as to save modifying each/every definition with the required
hostname.  Create a new host directory, drop in the definitions, and you're
pretty much done.  But I digress.

Coding the XML definitions by hand shouldn't be too painful.  It should
require some enhancements to the pre-flight check, so that additional
XML-type syntax errors are caught.  (Alternatively, if there are already any
tools out there which can already do this, all the better for us.)  I'm sure
that some sort of configuration tools will help out the more generic
environments, but it might be somewhat limiting.  Ultimately, the
configuration tool I'm using is 'vi'.

Put me down for, "Yeah, looks interesting, I'll definitely give it a go once
it's available, but the lack of XML today isn't hampering me."

jc