New install apache authentication problem?

Jarett DeAngelis Jarett_DeAngelis at fujifilm.com
Fri Jan 24 01:56:35 CET 2003

(Please reply-all to this so my home email gets any answers as well)

Hi all,

I should begin by saying "thank you in advance" for any help you can give me.  :)  I'd also like to add as a warning that I am a complete newbie with respect to network monitoring and even web server configuration.

I figured, however, that if I could read, I could configure.  Looks like I figured dead wrong.  I've gotten this far, but now I seem to be running into a brick wall.

I've followed the directions in the manual about enabling authentication in Apache.  I have the <Directory> definitions in httpd.conf from setting up the aliases earlier in the "setting up for web access" directions.  The only differences I can find are the fact that the name of the directory is not in quotes here in the "Authentication and Authorization in the CGIs" section and there is no Options None setting in the definition in the "Authentication etc."  Do I need two of these definitions?  That doesn't sound right...

Then it says to create identical .htaccess files in /usr/local/nagios/sbin and /usr/local/nagios/share with contents according to the manual, which I did.

Then it says to use htpasswd to create users for htpasswd.users and set their passes, which I did.

Now when I attempt to access the webserver it never accepts my password on either of the two users I created.

Does there HAVE to be a user called "nagiosadmin?"  Is that what I'm doing wrong?