check snmp problem and cant find the reason

jgking at packetstorm.org jgking at packetstorm.org
Thu Jan 23 15:24:20 CET 2003

Ok i have 2 linux systems, one i test on and the other is where i deploy
after testing. On the test system everything works just fine. On the
production system nagios cannot get a return value from the snmp daemon.

OS : Redhat Linux 7.2
SNMP : net-snmp rpm

Heres what I have checked so far:

1. Iptables : fine, for kicks i zeroed them out and still got no response
2. Checked the snmpd.conf file. exact same file (different community
string though). No problems
3. Tried the net-snmp snmpget and walk commands like so (AS the nagios ID)

snmpwalk localhost -c ******* oid

which worked fine.

4. So i rechecked my cfg files (checkconfig and services.cfg). Heres an
example entry for the services file

It works so its not something related to the userid.
check_snmp_str!localhost!.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.101.1!""!******!"STRING: "

I see no problems.

5. So as the nagios id i then run the libexec/check_snmp program passing
it the above information. It works as well

6. Recompiled with debug0 and debug5, they dont give that much info. What
debug level shows me the function call along with the data passed and the
return data recieved?

So what could be causing the nagios client to not be able to connect to
the snmpdaemon?

All im getting back on this box is "SNMP problem - No data recieved from
host "

Oh i just thought of something else, the test box runs under the nagios
id, the production box a different id. In both cases thouhg i can su to
the id and run the check_snmp script without a hitch, just not on the
production box from nagios.

Any ideas?

Thanks!