attempt recovery on service CRITICAL with nrpe

Jamin jragle at unm.edu
Thu Jan 23 01:38:40 CET 2003

Since I'm checking an ldap service (iplanet) I changed the code like so.
Since I could I went ahead and returned the number of supposed processes
running minus the grep count.

here is my modified script:
#!/bin/sh

ERS=`ps -eaf | grep -v grep | grep ns-slapd | wc -l`

if [ $ERS -gt 1 ]
  then
    /bin/echo "LDAP OK - LDAP running $ERS processes"
    exit 0
fi

if [ $ERS -eq 0 ]
  then
    sleep 10
    ERSLATE=`ps -eaf | grep -v grep | grep ns-slapd | wc -l`
    if [ $ERSLATE -eq 0 ]
      then
        /sbin/service ldap start
      else
        /bin/echo "LDAP OK - LDAP running $ERS processes"
        exit 0
    fi
    /bin/echo "LDAP CRITICAL - not running, attempted to restart"
    exit 2
fi

IT seems to be working great.  We shall see...
Hopefully we get this bug tracted down why the iplanet server keeps
crashing...
-Jamin

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, donavan nelson wrote:

> I'll try this again and include the list :)
>
> I would really clean up the following a bit.
>
> ERS=`ps -eaf | grep ersjsf | wc -l`
>
> This removes the ambiguity of counting the grep process
>
> ERS=`ps -ef | grep ersjsf | grep -v  "grep" -c`
>
> Because the way your script is written, the first grep could return 0 and you
> would fall out and exit with 0.
>
> .dn
> --
> Donavan Nelson
> 4wx Networks
> www.4wx.net

Jesus must have been a party animal that none could match to this day.
Think about it.  When I get slobering drunk I sometimes wake up face down
in the hallway in the Hokona dorm.  He woke up on a cross.  Man, that hang
over must have sucked.  No wonder people thought he was dead.
                                                  -- March 12th, 1999