Check_SNMP and MIB Name

Kelly Setzer Kelly.Setzer at placemark.com
Wed Jan 22 21:26:25 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:08:53PM -0800, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

Is it really necessary to send a message to the mailing list in both
HTML and text?  How about just text - some of us read the digest, after
all.

> Can I use a MIB name in the check_snmp syntax in place of the numerical
> OID number as required by the -o option?  If so what is the correct way
> of writing the statement using the MIB name?

The check_snmp module just calls snmpget and snmpget doesn't care if
you use numeric or named OIDs.  You can even shorten them:

laLoad.1
dskPercent.2

If you want to specifiy a MIB, you will need to edit the check_snmp.c
source and recompile it.  By default, check_snmp calls snmpget with '-M
ALL' parameter which causes snmpget to load all available mibs.

Kelly

--
Kelly Setzer, System Administrator/Architect - Placemark Investments
14180 Dallas Pkwy, Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75240