Login/Authentication doesn't work

Scott Rich SRich at apiatech.com
Tue Jan 21 00:30:31 CET 2003

No matter what I try and how many times I have gone through the limited
documentation, I can't seem to get authorization to work.  And my name
is not DAVE!

Below is an excerpt from my httpd.conf file and cgi.cfg file.  I have
Apache configured for port 8000.

httpd.conf
. . .
#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess
files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
    AllowOverride None

#
# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for access control information.  See also the AllowOverride
directive.
#
AccessFileName .htaccess

#
# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the
client.
# The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as
# Alias.
#
#ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/nagios/ "/home/apps/nagios/sbin/"

<IfModule mod_cgid.c>
#
# Additional to mod_cgid.c settings, mod_cgid has Scriptsock <path>
# for setting UNIX socket for communicating with cgid.
#
#Scriptsock            logs/cgisock
</IfModule>

#
# "/var/www/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
#<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
#    AllowOverride None
#    Options None
#    Order allow,deny
#    Allow from all
#</Directory>
<Directory "/home/apps/nagios/sbin/">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /nagios /home/apps/nagios/share

<Directory "/home/apps/nagios/share">
    Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

..cgi.cfg...

# AUTHENTICATION USAGE
# This option controls whether or not the CGIs will use any
# authentication when displaying host and service information, as
# well as committing commands to Nagios for processing.
#
# Read the HTML documentation to learn how the authorization works!
#
# NOTE: It is a really *bad* idea to disable authorization, unless
# you plan on removing the command CGI (cmd.cgi)!  Failure to do
# so will leave you wide open to kiddies messing with Nagios and
# possibly hitting you with a denial of service attack by filling up
# your drive by continuously writing to your command file!
#
# Setting this value to 0 will cause the CGIs to *not* use
# authentication (bad idea), while any other value will make them
# use the authentication functions (the default).

use_authentication=1

# DEFAULT USER
# Setting this variable will define a default user name that can
# access pages without authentication.  This allows people within a
# secure domain (i.e., behind a firewall) to see the current status
# without authenticating.  You may want to use this to avoid basic
# authentication if you are not using a sercure server since basic
# authentication transmits passwords in the clear.
#
# Important:  Do not define a default username unless you are
# running a secure web server and are sure that everyone who has
# access to the CGIs has been authenticated in some manner!  If you
# define this variable, anyone who has not authenticated to the web
# server will inherit all rights you assign to this user!

#default_user_name=nagiosadmin

If I didn't like the format, layout, options, and scalability of Nagios
so much I would have given up trying to install/configure the da*# thing
two months ago.  Can anyone put an end to my three month long
installation suffering?

Scott