OT: hostmibd for AIX 4.3/4.2

Schimpke, Dr. Thomas / bhn Schimpke at Lenze.de
Fri Jan 17 13:15:52 CET 2003

Hi,

the question is a little bit off-topic:  I have to monitor four AIX
(4.3/4.2) machines with nagios. Much of the checks I need (ip traffic,
running processes  etc.) can be done with snmp. But in the "standard" AIX
snmpd installation the host resources mib seems not to be implemented. There
should be, however, a daemon called hostmibd (located in /sbin or
/usr/sbin), which should be the  host-resource subagent. This server is not
installed on my machines. I'm not an AIX guru; it could be, that the
software package, in which this server resides is simply not installed on my
machines (or it could be IBM payware). Is somebody here, who's also
monitoring AIX and has this server installed (lslpp -w output would be
great!) or knows, if I have to purchase it seperately from IBM...

Thanks in advance,

Thomas