Win2k NSClient Alert Log Entry Notifications

Thu Jan 16 21:38:39 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:31:13AM -0600, Jeff Bilder wrote:
> I believe that this was a feature that was going to be added to the next version of NSClient, but the project has stopped?  Any insight into the new NSClient?  Thanks!
>
> - Jeff
>
> <<< jasonp at iland.com  1/16 10:13a >>>
> Is there a way to make nagios alert using NSClient responses from a Win2k
> server whenever there is a new entry in the alert logs with a specific error
> code?  Has anyone done this before?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks,

Another way of accomplishing this is

1 Fit your NT/2K box with the MS DumpEL program (or write your own
equiv) and have this run by AT as often as you need

Have DumpEL write the EL to a shared directory accessible to the Nag
box.

2 Have the Nag service check read the dumped EL in the share.

This can be done by

2.1 smbclient

2.2 code that I am writing (and is working) to allow read at an offset
of a file on an SMB file system  - this is nothing more than a Perl XS
wrapper to the Samba read_smb() function. This saves you reading the
entire EL.

Once read, the code is easiy parsed (sh, Perl, Ruby, Python) for your
alert.

> -Jason Payne

HTH,

Yours sincerely.