NRPE vs. check_by_ssh vs. nagios_statd

Tom DE BLENDE tdeblend at gcc.dhl.com
Wed Jan 15 08:39:00 CET 2003

> - nagios_statd -- for starters, you'd have to install Python on ever
> client you wish to install this on; I also seem to recall reading a
> post to the list where someone was having problems expanding on the
> functionality

You might consider using netsaint_statd, which is what I do. It uses
Perl instead of Python. You are right that it only allows you to
monitor a given set of services. On the other hand, thise services are
often the only ones I want to monitor. If I want more, I setup a set
of keypairs, and use check_by_ssh. To me placing the Perl script on
the target box and adding it to the startup scripts still is the
easiest way.