Question about thresholds and nrpe

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Jan 14 19:49:59 CET 2003

Not sure what you're asking here.  Setting the warning/critical thresholds
doesn't have a lot to do with NRPE, other than what you put into the
nrpe.cfg file.

But let's assume you need an example for each.  First, nrpe.cfg on the
client:

command[check_load]=/home/nagios/libexec/check_load 5 10 15 20 25 30
command[root]=/home/nagios/libexec/check_disk -m 95 98 /

Next, services.cfg on Nagios:

define service{
        host_name                       itdmln30
        use                             icmp
        service_description             Total Load
        contact_groups                  unix-admins
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_load
        }

define service{
        host_name                       itdmln30
        use                             icmp
        service_description             Space on root
        contact_groups                  unix-admins
        check_command                   check_nrpe!root
        }

I'll assume for the moment that you've already got check_nrpe properly
defined in checkcommands.cfg.  (Note that you may wish to have another 'use'
statement than what I'm using for my environment.)

I should also mention that my check_load is based on an example I read
somewhere.  Now that I've done a "./check_load --help", I may change my
approach.

HTH.

jc