db2

Volker.Aust at premiere.de Volker.Aust at premiere.de
Tue Jan 14 18:03:49 CET 2003

Hi Clif,

I have just started this venture. First I check with SNMP (lan manager mib
(NT4) or host resource mib (W2K)) that the service is running.

To check a real database connection I have written a java plugin (this is in
an experimental or pre-ALPHA state) which connects with JDBC to the database
and performs a "select count(*) from syscat.tables" to make something
"useful".

On AIX you have the possibility to write your custom plugins as shell- or
perl-script and use the command line tools of DB2 (and call them through
NRPE, check_by_ssh, ...).

A support question concerning DB2 and SNMP IBM answered that "... we must
tell our V7 customers that SNMP is not available anymore ...", "... we have
decided not to support SNMP in our next DB2 version (V8 GA)..." and that
"... we intend to reconsider our support statement for SNMP in a post v8 GA
release ...".

-vol