Trends on Solaris 8

Sean McAvoy sean.mcavoy at megawheels.com
Mon Jan 13 22:40:52 CET 2003

Just one point about copying files into /usr/lib. Usually /usr/lib is
used for files that belong to packages, not user compiled packages. This
doesn't break things at all. But it can save troubles in the future
(i.e. remembering what was copied into /usr/lib, what version, any other
related files, etc.) if you leave the file in /usr/local/lib and add the
path to /etc/ld.so.conf, then run `ldconfig`. This tells the linker to
search /usr/local/lib for libraries to link to when the app starts. This
can also help you in the future, in that if you compile a lib that
defaults to /usr/local/lib (which most do) you won't have to copy files
around.

just my $0.02 (CDN)

-Sean