problem with nagios

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Mon Jan 13 15:08:24 CET 2003

What you want to do is write a little 3 line shell script... I call my
"notfresh.sh" and then set up a command to run that shell script when
your freshness check happen... it's pretty much right in the Nagios
Docs, I have mine go into an unknown state rather then a crit...

#!/bin/sh

echo "UNKNOWN: Have not received an update from server in quite some time!"
exit 3

What will happen is when it does a fresh check it will run the above
script and put the service into an UNKNOWN state, you can change the
state to whatever you want from the exit code.

- Chris

Jasmine Chua wrote:
> Hi all, I seem to be having a lot of problems with nagios and need some advise
> on setting me the right path again.
>
> Problem 1 :
>
> I have enabled freshness checking on my main central server.
> Whenever services are down, my main central server seems to be doing active
> checking on those hosts that are supposed to be passive. It is not supposed
> to do it at all. These host status are supposed to be reported back by
> distributed monitoring servers. And, I realised that the problem lies in the
> default check-host-alive which is configured to be check_ping. However, by
> removing the whole host check_command it means that the host is always assume
> to be up. Which I dont want that, because I stll want to be able to know if
> passive hosts are down. So what should I do?
>
> Problem 2: [ In reference to Dennis Cannell's post to nagios-users mail on
> setting Initial state of passive services]
>
> How do you schedule passive services to be on 'no-time-periods' to work around
> the  "disabled" indicator in TAC overview? I have configured under each
> passive services definition in the check_period to be set to 'none'
> <timeperiod_name> . Is this how you do it?

Chris Stankaitis
Systems Administrator
Datawire Communication Networks Inc.