nagios.cmd

Bradley Dean bjdean at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jan 12 23:45:13 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:39:47AM -0800, Ambrose wrote:
> Be sure to restart both the apache and nagios daemons after setting the
> correct permissions.
>
> Also be sure to chmod nagios.nagios /usr/local/nagios/var/rw

If the file is not writable nagios will fire off this sort of error.

Instead of chmod nagios.nagios /usr/local/nagios/var/rw Ambrose might have
meant: chown nagios:nagios /usr/local/nagios/var/rw

To set write permissions use:

chmod 660 /usr/local/nagios/var/rw
or equivalently:
chmod u+rw,g=rw,o= /usr/local/nagios/var/rw

I've found that this file gets clobbered and recreated with the wrong
permissions every now and then (despite umasks) and as I've been too lazy
to track it down I have a line like "chmod 660 /usr/local/nagios/var/rw" in
my crontab running fairly regularly. (Though this way I'm never likely to
know if I've fixed the problem. :)

Cheerio,

 Brad

--
Melbourne University ITSAD SDI - Campus Wide Info Systems Group (CWIS)
Email: bjdean at unimelb.edu.au Phone: +61-3-83443997 Mobile: +61-413014395

Australian Intervarsity Choral Societies Association - Secretary
Email: secretary at aicsa.org.au   Web: http://www.aicsa.org.au