Excluding Hosts from group Service Checks and 3D Status Map Dependency

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 18:52:53 CET 2003

For the 3d maps, try using the parents option in you hosts.cfg.
http://nagios.square-box.com/nagios/cgi-bin/cmd.cgi?cmd_typ=1
parents:This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of short names of the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent hosts are typically routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the monitoring host and a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is closest to the remote host is considered to be that host's "parent". Read the "Determining Status and Reachability of Network Hosts" document located here for more information. If this host is on the same network segment as the host doing the monitoring (without any intermediate routers, etc.) the host is considered to be on the local network and will not have a parent host. Leave this value blank if the host does not have a parent host (i.e. it is on the same segment as the Nagios host). The order in which you specify parent hosts has no effect on how things are monitored.
 AJ McKee <aj.mckee at nmtbmedia.com> wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any way I can exclude a host from a service
check but still use the same host group that includes that host.

For example, we would have many servers some have common services and
some not. Now I want the hostgroup "london" to check for ping, http,
ftp, smtp and mysql. However not all of the host group "london" have all
of these services on them. Some may have them all though.

A typical config would then look like;
define service{
use generic-service
hostgroup_name london
service_description SMTP
is_volatile 0
check_period 24x7
max_check_attempts 3
normal_check_interval 3
retry_check_interval 1
contact_groups noc-admins
notification_interval 120
notification_period 24x7
notification_options w,u,c,r
check_command check_smtp
}

Is it possible to have an exclude_hosts directive here so that the app
knows not to check smtp on particular servers?
E.g.
exclude_hosts_from_hostgroup alpha,tango,chilly

I suppose I could define loads of different host groups, but does that
not defeat the purpose?

Also I have a slight problem with the 3d status map. I read the docs yes
but there is not that much info there (perhaps I can help there) But I
am having problems getting it to display the dependencies. Is this
normal issue (Yes I have defined a dependency as one group of servers
who are dependant on a firewall being up which is in turn dependant on a
gateway being up)

Sorry if these have been asked before but SF was not search through the
mail list.

Thanks in advance

Yours
AJ