nagios.cmd ... "Sorry, you are not authorized..." -- Argh!

Russell Scibetti russell at quadrix.com
Fri Jan 10 17:55:50 CET 2003

I caught the tail end of this discussion, so I'm just going to offer up
a set of items to double check:

cgi.cfg:
- use_authenticaion is turned on
- the user that you log into Nagios as (say, nagiosadmin) is given on
the authorized_for_host and authorized_for_service_commands lines
- make sure the main_config_file line is pointed to the right nagios.cfg

nagios.cmd:
- Set the owner/group for the rw directory and nagios.cmd to whoever
owns the Nagios process (in my case, its owner nagios, group nagios,
although some people have a separate nagioscmd user for the pipe).
- Set the permission to 660 (the command pipe should NEVER be 777 - you
don't want anyone writing arbitrary commands to nagios)
- double checks the perms

/etc/group:
- Whatever group the command pipe is set to (say nagios), make sure that
the apache user is added to that group

nagios.cfg:
- Check the path for the command_file line to make sure it goes to the
right place

Now stop nagios, make sure there are no nagios processes running, and
restart nagios.  Double check to make sure nagios.cmd was created in the
right place and with the right permission (the one's I gave above should
be the default).  I believe I covered everything that needs to be set
for this to work.  If I think of anything else, I'll send another email.

Sorry if this is all repetitive, just trying to cover all bases.

Russell Scibetti
Quadrix Solutions

Olivier Beauchemin (Accolade Group) wrote:

>* doesn't work either. I get the same thing.
>
>... unfortunately, I don't know how to deal with the .c file. If you could
>point me in the right direction, I'd like to try that route though.
>
>Thanks,
>Olivier

Russell Scibetti
Quadrix Solutions, Inc.