Nrpe Error Message

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jan 8 23:19:25 CET 2003

Also, you can't pass a command to the nrpe daemon.  (Not yet, anyway.  Refer
to earlier thread, concluding in Ethan deciding he would add that feature
into NRPE, with restrictions.)  You'll need to refer to the token that
you've defined in the remote host's nrpe.cfg file.  So let's take a trivial
example.  In this example, the remote host's name is 'wingnut'.

In wingnut's nrpe.cfg file, you could have the following defined:

  command[check_nrpe_status]=echo "OK - NRPE is alive"

In this case, on the Nagios host you would run this command line test:

  ./check_nrpe wingnut -c check_nrpe_status

(the "-p 5666" is redundant, as that's the default port)

Try this fairly basic test.  For one thing, it doesn't rely on plugins, so
you can eliminate those as a possible problem.

jc