Same old "Nagios may not be running!" thing

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue Jan 7 23:12:58 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:03:16PM -0800, Stan Tichomirov wrote:
> hmm..  I haven't tried running NetSaint, or Nagios on OpenBSD, so i'm
> not aware of any issues specific to that O/S.  I think I remember seing
> "Nagios process may not be running" error when I accidently tried
> starting nagios without any plugins installed, right after upgrading.
> Is it finding the libexec directory ok?

For what it's worth, I am running Netsaint and Nagios on
three separate machines, six total instances, and I've
never seen this one.  All of the instances are running
on OpenBSD, from 2.8 to 3.2.

Oh, good grief.  I checked the permissions on libexec, and
they were mode 0700.  Well, that's going to give Apache
problems getting to the check_nagios, I'd think.  ;)

So, this problem is solved.  Thank you VERY much, Stan -
I needed a fresh brain to point at the obvious.

However.  I'd love to know _why_ libexec was 0700...  This
was a fresh install from nagios-plugins-200211121100, and
I did _not_ manually twiddle any permissions.  Did a plugins
release escape with an oops?  Or should I just go home now?
;)

Reguardless, thanks very much.  :)

Benny

ps:  Before anyone asks, the default umask for the user I
built things with is 027, and is in the same group as the
Apache user.  ;)