Whole Configuration in a Database?

Grae Noble Grae.Noble at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jan 7 10:59:13 CET 2003

Hi all,
I know db support is "probably" going to be removed from the core (http://www.nagios.org/upcoming.php) , but I believe that the plan is that it will still be possible via the event daemon.

I understand that the current implementation of db code needs to be looked at, and the planned method means that development and testing of the core is simplified significantly. Hopefully the required addons will still be developed as I feel it would be a monumental mistake to remove db support entirely (or let it stagnate).

DB support is vastly underrated.

It enables seamless distributed/ failover monitoring, as well as common downtime information for large sites where multiple monitors are required. Config in a db also simplifies failover and distributed monitoring as well as making delegated administration as easy as it is going to get ( again for larger sites where administration is devolved out to other groups etc). DB support also makes custom interfaces a breeze. The move to php for the cgi will also significantly simplify db usage as well as simplify custom interfaces. The new way of doing things may even make it simple to add oracle db support.

Just my 2 cents :)

Grae Noble
Infrastructure, Communication and Information Services, University Services Division
University of Newcastle, NSW
Phone:  +61 2 4921 7875 Fax:  +61 2 4921 7087
Grae.Noble at newcastle.edu.au
Room: CT216

>>> "Carroll, Jim P [Contractor]" <jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com> 01/07/03 09:53am >>>
I believe it's been discussed.  But now for the Bad News.

I recently found out from someone else on the list that the current MySQL/PgSQL support is slated to disappear in a future release.

jc