Setting up service dependencies

Jeff Boulter jboulter at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jan 7 01:36:35 CET 2003

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up service dependencies in Nagios. For example, I
don't want alerts about an HTTP service being down on a host if the host
isn't pingable.

So far, the only way I've found to do this is to set it up for each host
individually. That would be difficult with the hundreds of hosts that my
nagios is currently monitoring.

I tried creating a servicedependency object with a hostgroup_name and a
dependent_hostgroup_name. This seems to make each host in hostgroup_name
dependent on EVERY host in dependent_hostgroup_name. For example, if my
hostgroup has 7 hosts in it, it seems it's making each of those 7 hosts
dependent on each other, making 7x7=49 dependencies. (Stragely, Nagios
reports 98 dependencies. Why 2x?)

Any suggestions on how to make a service dependencies local to each host
and not a group of hosts without lots and lots of dependency objects?

Jeff