Redhat 8.0 installation problems

Tue Jan 7 00:24:25 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to suggest as a general comment for posters to this list
that in order to get answers that aren't guesses (attempts to manually
walk through a binary tree of problem causes, one node at a time) or
that don't take a lot of time to get resolved, that

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 05:02:58PM -0500, Rob Enders wrote:
> Hi all.. I am not having much luck installing nagios on Redhat 8.0. I have
> installed the gd libraries, including jpeg and png that come with redhat. I
> have added the --with-gd-lib=/usr/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/include which do
> point to the gd libraries and includes. I still get the 'GD, PNG, and/or
> JPEG libraries could not be located...' error.

any problems with configuring, building Nagios and or the plugins or
addons be accompanied by the __appropriate__ lines from the configure or
make output.

For example, when Nagios/Netsaint can't find an optional library or
its headers - absolutely mandatory to link against - I would recommend
something like

1 rerun configure like so

./configure 2>&1 > configure.out.$$

2 grep -3 -i jpeg configure.out.nnnn > junk
  grep -3 -i gd   configure.out.nnn  >> junk

and post the file named 'junk' with the problem report

If that's too hard or too much work, then at least post the summary from
configure (the last 15 lines of its output).

Be aware of what configure is doing: it attempts to locate files by
looking in known paths for them. If it finds them it compiles a two line
C program to make sure that the headers and libraries are usable.

If either part of the process fails, then the optional library (gd,
openssl, net-snmp etc etc) won't be used.

Also configure is only another program; it too can have bugs.

> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Yours sincerely.