parameters for service checks from outside nagios

Lennard Bakker bakkerl at lamp.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 3 23:43:16 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 22:47, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent here.  Maybe what you're
> interested in doing is to have the datfiles consistent and up-to-date,
> and not test whether they are or not.  Sure, the test would be
> valuable, but it might be redundant.  Allow me to illustrate....
>
> Set up an rsync server internally.  (It doesn't have to be anywhere;
> in fact, if you can keep it on a separate server, all the better.)
> Always put the latest/greatest datfile on your rsync server.  Run a
> cronjob as frequently as you'd like (once a day, once an hour,
> whatever) on your rsync server to grab the latest datfile from the
> Internet.  Also set up cronjobs on each of your hosts (where the
> datfile needs to be kept up-to-date) to use the rsync protocol to grab
> this very same datfile from your rsync server and install locally.

Above will do if you have enough bandwidth. But (there is always a but),
some hosts i want to check have a bandwidth limit of 33k6.
For these hosts i don't want a daily update (or more). For these hosts
there is a weekly cronjob now.
But virus-dat files can be get updates more than once a week (normal
once a week).

A nagios check (lets say 4 times a day), would only cost 100kb (?) of
data communication. But with this check i could see of the datfile on
one of these host is uptodate. If the check would go on ERROR (2 or more
version behind), a manual update of these hosts is wanted (the
organization policy is uptodate, but 1 version behind wouldn't kill me
:)

The bandwidth problem is why i want the check.