Notification Bug?

Jordan jordan at advapro.com
Fri Jan 3 03:22:35 CET 2003

I think I might have encountered a bug in the Nagios notification
system. If this was intended, please slap me. =)

Using: Nagios-text 1.0-3 on Debian Linux 3.0 (Woody).

Here's my setup:

I only monitor hosts being pingable.  Therefore, I create a single
service for each host I add named 'ping'.

I have *enabled* all service notifications for every host I monitor.

I have *disabled* all host notifications for every host I monitor.

So AFAIK, the process goes like this:

1) Service goes down hard (ping in my case).
2) Nagios pings host to see if it's alive.
3) Nagios determines host is down, so it SILENCES all service
notifications and sends out a host down notification.
4) Nagios realises all host notifications are disabled, so no
notifications get sent out at all.

I was tearing my hair out on this for a couple hours as to why I wasn't
getting notified of anything being down.  I realise that this *could* be
considered a configuration error, but given that lots of people probably
have a simmilar setup as me (with pinging being the only service of a
host), it would be nice if Nagios could send out a service alert if it
sees it is a ping (same as host down), or possibly creating a
'serviceless host' option in which all it does is ping to see if it's
alive.  Anyway, any input would be greately appriciated.