check_ping necessary?

Fri Jan 3 00:35:36 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:55:37PM -0600, Don Schultz wrote:
> This may be a really stupid question but I'm going for it anyways ;)
>
> Is it necessary to define a "ping" service for hosts?

No. However you must define at least _one_ service. Most choose to
define ping as well as other services because in most cases you probably
want to to be informed that a host is unreachable __before__ (owing to
the way Nagios works) that it activates the host checking logic.

> If you do not,
> aren't they still pinged with the check-host-alive command or are they
> just assumed to be up by the nagios process?

You should read the theory of operation.

In a nutshell, check-host-alive is only scheduled after a service check
returns a HARD CRITICAL state.

You have two opions

1 Define services >= 1 + ping

  ==> notified if host becomes unreachable at service check time

2 Define services(excluding ping) >= 1

  ==> notified when host becomes unreachable only after a service check
cycle reports a service failure.

> If I'm thinking correctly, then the only way to get notification of a
> host being "down" is to include it in a ping service definition correct?

No. Hosts are always checked if a service fails. The service does not
have to be a 'ping' service.

> Thanks!

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft