Line-Monitoring with check_snmp on Ciscos ....

Luis Duarte Luis.Duarte at itlog.edinfor.pt
Thu Jan 2 14:46:23 CET 2003

Nagios reports OK because the plugin returns OK!
What you need to do is something like this:

command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$ -C $ARG2$ -r
up

the '-r up' is the key, it will return OK if it will find the string "up"
in the response and CRITICAL otherwise.
check all options with 'check_snmp -h'.

Cordialmente,

Luis Filipe Duarte
IT-Log, Logistica e Gestao de Tecnologias de Informacao - Grupo EDP
Outsourcing - Gestao de Redes
e-mail: luis.duarte at itlog.edinfor.pt
tel: +351 21 001 8700
fax: +351 21 001 8740

                    Jan-Hendrik Palic
                    <jhp at addix.net>                       To:     nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                    Sent by:                              cc:
                    nagios-users-admin at lists.sourc        Subject:     [Nagios-users] Line-Monitoring with check_snmp on Ciscos
                    eforge.net                            ....

                    02-01-2003 12:16

Hoi ...

a happy new year to everyone ...

Just a question, I want to check the lines on our ciscos and I thought,
this will do it:

# 'check_snmp' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_snmp_Line
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$ -C
$ARG2$
        }

This checks our line and gives "snmp ok - up (1)" back, if it is up, and
"snmp ok - down (0)", if it is down.
The problem is, that nagios shows the checks in both time as ok/green.

What is the way, to get down-notifications, if the line is down?

           Thnx and regards
                                          Jan