database support for configuration files? (part2)

Jasmine jasmine.chua at securecirt.com
Thu Feb 27 04:53:20 CET 2003

Hi Thanks to those who responded! I've been busy quite a while dint have time
to reply till now. Hmm.. I am still working out on the GUI before I start
thinking about the db structure. If theres anything, I dont mind sharing with
the list.

Jasmine

Instead of comma/tab-delimited files, why not XML?  I know there are already
others working on an XML-based solution to what you describe.  Since XML
seems to be the way to go, this might be preferable.

Food for thought.

jc

I would like to see a useful graphical front end as well. I haven't been
able to get Nagat to even display on my box (and I've gotten no responses to
my calls for help). I would suggest that it would be better to not use a
database backend though. I would rather have a front end that parses the
configuration files on the fly. That way you could use either the front end
or manually edit the config files at any time.

My team is working on some perl scripts that build configuration files from
comma and tab delimitated files. I would be happy to make them available if
they would help.

Thanks,

Robert S. Galloway
Chief Network Security Engineer
IKANO Communications
...the Internet branding company
Official Data Networking Services Provider for the
Salt Lake Olympic Winter Games of 2002
securityguy at ikano.com

Hi Jasmine,

I can't say I have come across a useable db scheme, but I have noticed
that
there is a demand for a graphical (or more intuitive frontend) for
configuration of Nagios. (Nagat isn't really the answer, I agree; though
I do believe PHP/MySQL is up to it).
So if you want to make an effort, let me know; I'm willing to help.

Jan van den Berg