Monitoring routers with accurate dependancies

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Feb 27 20:29:44 CET 2003

I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the 'parents' directive, for one
thing.

Also, what you suggest sounds quite viable, moreso than you might think.
Here's a crude ASCII drawing of what a trivial example might be:

   Nagios
    host

   [Int0]
   Router
[Int1][Int2]
  |      |
hosta  hostb

You would then:

- select the IP address of Int0 to do your comprehensive service checks
- define a ping service for each of the IPs for Int1 and Int2
- make Int0 a parent of Int1
- make Int0 a parent of Int2
- make Int1 a parent of hosta
- make Int2 a parent of hostb

Here are examples of what you would (or would not) be notified on:

- if hosta has a service problem, you would be notified
- if hosta goes down, you would be notified only of that (and not of any of
hosta's services)
- if Int1 goes down, you would be notified only of that
  - all host and service checks of hosta would wait, pending the resumption
of Int1
- if Int0 goes down, both Int1 and Int2 (and of course hosta and hostb)
would be ignored until the resumption of Int0

One bonus of using this approach:  Status Map (and 3-D Status Map) would
show the hierarchies, not one Big Flat Map.

HTH.

jc