Problems with SMTP and Nagios

Thu Feb 27 10:29:08 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:32:14AM +0100, Andreas Widerøe Andersen wrote:
> At 19:12 26.02.2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >What we needed, I suspect, was the plugin verion. I suspect it is not
> >the most recent. Try 1.3.0-beta3
>
> Really? I'm running 1.0, the latest port available for FreeBSD.

Goon Show memories:

Seagoon: Open the door !
Bluebottle: I don't know how to open the door
Seagoon: Turn the knob on your side.
Bluebottle: I haven't got a knob on my side.

Please make sure you are trying the latest Nagios plugins (1.3.0-beta3)
- probably from the SourceForge Nagios plugin CVS.

FWIW, your former letters mentioning that

1 the cause of the failure being a socket timeout
2 the fault is intermittent

suggest to me that it's not the plugin.

You mentioned that the machine is lightly loaded but does it have
'enough' mbufs ? dmesg and /var/log/messages will show complaints if it
doesn't.

You may have to have a long running tcpdump to catch what the plugin
claims is a connection failure

nohup tcpdump -x -s1500 -w <some_file.pcap> host nagios_host and port
smtp & sort of thing.

Then when the problem occurs, stop the trace and tcpdump -r
<some_file.pcap> | more.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.