Problems with Nagios config

Kevin Gibbons kevin at kgibbons.com
Thu Feb 27 06:04:50 CET 2003

Thanks very much for the quick response.  I actually ended up getting Nagios
working from the time I wrote my initial email, to the timeI got your
response.

The problem was was happening because of the sample config files.  I
commented out most of the sample stuff, and added in only what I wanted to
monitor.  However, I'm guessing that the hosts.cfg and hostgroups.cfg files
are dependent on one another -- so if the information in one doesn't match
the other, it seems that the hosts won't show.

Same goes for dependencies, escalations, etc..  When I ran the pre-flight
check is when I finally discovered this.  I have a very simple config -- 5
independent servers, so no dependency rules are in effect.  So once I
commented out all the things I did NOT need, my pre-flight check worked
perfect.

Now one more config question...

How can I setup Nagios email alerts to have a custom FROM address?  I'm
guessing it's in the misccommands.cfg file in the "'notify-by-email' command
definition".  By default I see that all email alerts are sent originating
from nagios at hostname  But I would like to change this to my own personal
email address, so my ISP could simply reply back.

Many thanks once again.

Kevin Gibbons