Problems with Nagios config

Kevin Gibbons kevin at kgibbons.com
Thu Feb 27 01:01:52 CET 2003

Hello all,

Well, I've installed Nagios and the Nagios plugins successfully.  I've configured all my httpd.conf stuff and I'm able to both view the HTML and run scripts via the web.  So my initial setup would appear to be working just fine.

When compiling, I DID create the sample config files to use as a guide.  The sample files were all named "filename.cfg-sample".  So I renamed all of them to remove the "-sample" but keeping the real filenames intact.

I then went into each file just to see what the config variables were.  I modified a few files, including the resource.cfg file to point to the correct location of my Plugins.  I installed them from RPM, so I had to change the line to "$USER1$=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins"

I then modified the contacts.cfg and contactgroups.cfg files accordingly.  Now when I'm in my Nagios via the web interface, and I choose the "View Config" option from the left, I AM able to see the changes I made.  Here's where the problem comes in....

I made up a modified version of hosts.cfg and services.cfg to represent my own servers that I will eventually be monitoring.  Now, when I make the changes in the existing hosts.cfg and services.cfg, I can no longer view them from the "View Config" drop-down.

So I copied the contents of the original (sample) hosts.cfg and services.cfg back into the files, and sure enough... I can now view the info via "View Config" once again.  I see "Linux Server #2, Linux Server #2...etc.."

Long story short.. any changes I make to hosts.cfg or services.cfg seem to somehow not allow the config.cgi to read them properly.  And yes, I was very careful to edit the files properly with my text editor, so that's definitely not the problem.

Again to recap... when I have the original sample file contents in place, the config.cgi DOES read them just fine via the web interface.  But when I have my modified hosts and services files there, config.cgi will NOT read them.  I get the dark gray table header showing the column names -- but the table cells underneath are not there.

Kevin Gibbons