Sending WinPopUp messages from Nagios.

Wed Feb 26 08:26:16 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:44:35PM -0500, DTerrell at Delphi-Tech.com wrote:
> I'm trying to make an alternate notification option.  My linux machine is a
> member of my NT domain here, and I'd like a notification type to be
> notify-by-messenger...using the messenger service.  I'm sure someone has
> already done this, I just wonder how to make the macros for it, such as
> $CONTACTHOST$ like the $CONTACTEMAIL$...any help appreciated.
>
> -Dave T.

that sending notifications from Nagios in any form is conceptually easy.

All that you need do is

1 Change the addresses of the recipients to some mailer specific string
can be used by your MTA to invoke the delivery program

2 The delivery program does whatever is necessary to

2.1 resolve the recipient address (consulting address book etc)

2.2 sending the message to the recipient address.

For example, members of my employers SMS contact group have addresses

<NT_Domain_account_name>.page eg anwsmh.page

An address with a .page suffix causes sendmail (my MTA) to invoke a Perl
hack that calls the SMSLink send_sms program after first doing an LDAP
lookup of the NT domain account to get the mobile telephone number.

Don't like it ?

Change the delivery command to run whatever Samba Samba-tng program
(smbclient based I guess) that sends a win pop up message.

The drawback of the latter approach is

1 The notification command must complete; this may hang Nagios (whereas
the MTA will queue the notification and retry etc)

2 Mutiple notification commands for different sorts of delivery.

So it is much quicker to get going but less scalable.

HTH,

Yours sincerely.
Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.