host-check on multi interface server

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Feb 26 02:10:22 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 15:20, Markus Schencker wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 04:14, you wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > If I read this right, at least one or two folks out there would like a
> > variant of check_f?ping that accepted multiple IPs and returned an error
> > status only if all the IPs were unreachable.
> >
> > A plugin with that behavior is not too hard. It could be done as a new
> > feature pretty quickly, once we get the 1.3.0 plugins released. I don't
> > think you can specify multiple IPs for a host defintion, however (of
> > course I cold be wrong, I have not come close to fully using the power
> > of the templated configs).
>
> Some host check of this kind would be nice.
>
> > But even so, you can define the needed host check command -- you would
> > need to do it once for each interface in order to list them explicitly.
>
> Can I specify more than one host_check per system? It is possible to specify
> some host_check and use a list of IP addresses as parameter but what IP
> address would the $HOPSTNAME$ macro contain used by the service checks? I
> fear it might be not as simple as it seems at the first glance

I think extending check_ping as discribed is a worthwhile tack (another
way of saying it solves a problem I have ;-).

Until then, you could make a little shell wrapper that invokes ping
directy

#!/bin/sh
# my_ping_wrapper

if [ "z$1" != "z" ] ; then
  if ping -n -c 1 $1 ; then
    exit 0
  else
    shift
  fi
fi
exit 2

then define a check_host_alive_<nost1> that looks a little like:

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/my_ping_wrapper <list IP addresses for host 1>

That could be made to work today.

An enhanced plugin that replces the wrapper can be made in a few weeks.

Maybe if Ethan is following the thread, he can comment on the wisdom of
this approach, and on how hard it would be to put multiple IP addesses
per host for the next release on nagios.

--
Karl