hostgroup escalations + service escalations

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Feb 26 01:34:09 CET 2003

It'll do what you want.  Sort of:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/escalations.html

Bear in mind that service escalations and host escalations are two
completely different animals (not unlike the definitions for each).  Here's
how it'll work (as I understand it):

- check for service escalation
  - if service escalation doesn't exist, use contact group in service
definition

And on a relatively different path:

- check for host escalation
  - if host escalation doesn't exist, use contact group in host definition

Think about this for a sec.  If Oracle is down, you want the DBA paged, not
the sysadmin.  And if the host is down, paging the DBA isn't really going to
do much good, unless the DBA is also the sysadmin.

So if you have an Oracle service escalation defined for a specific host's
Oracle service, then follow that.  Otherwise, follow the one defined for
that specific service.

Similarly, if a mouse decided to feast on the host's CAT5 cable, page the
sysadmin defined in the host's escalation, otherwise notify the contact
group as defined in the host definition.

As for the hostgroup vs. host escalation, I don't quite recall, but I
believe that nagios will squawk at you when you do a "service nagios
restart" as the result of having a conflict of definitions.  You define the
host in a hostgroup escalation, or you define it outside of the hostgroup
escalation (on its own).  Both cannot exist.

Someone may want to correct me on this.

jc