host check interval

Schimpke, Dr. Thomas / bhn Schimpke at Lenze.de
Tue Feb 25 18:49:37 CET 2003

Hello,

I've configured nagios to monitor printers, which are connected with a
Jet-Direct card to our network. I figured out, that in the cases, where I'm
intrested in what's happening, the printers send an SNMP trap, which is
enough to trigger an appropriate alarm.

So I came back with a printer, where all checks are passive (i.e. I wait for
a trap).
I've configured freshness checks for these services, just in case I loose a
trap. No problem so far.

Then I went to one of our printers and pulled the network cable. No traps,
of course...After approx. 5 minutes the freshness check turned the
respective service to "red", one after the other. So nagios did a host check
and reported the printer as "down".
Good !

After that I've reconnected the printer to the network and had to wait 50
minutes(!!; approx. the notification interval length [60 minutes]) for the
next host check...not good!

There doesn't seem to be a variable, that controls the host check interval
(this was on the list a few weeks ago, but I may have missed the answer...).
Is there a work-around ? I think, that I've seen the host-down alert such a
short time after I've pulled the cable just happend by chance, since I can't
really control the freshness_check interval length (OK, there is the
freshness_threshold. But I tend to set this parameter to 0, because if I
would use any other value I could issue an active service check...). I'd
like to see the state changes of my hosts shortly after the real state
change occured. Is this possible (with only passive checks)??

Thanks for your help,
Greetings,

Thomas

Here's a sample of my config:

define service {
	name                   	snmpTrap
	service_description    	Generischer SNMP Trap
	is_volatile            	1
	active_checks_enabled  	0
	passive_checks_enabled 	1
	max_check_attempts      1
	contact_groups          unix-admins
	normal_check_interval   60
	retry_check_interval	5
	check_period            none
	notification_interval   120
	notification_period     24x7
	notification_options    w,u,c,r
	check_freshness		1
	freshness_threshold	0
	check_command	       	check_none
	register               	0
}

define service {
	name			printerStatus
	use			snmpTrap
	check_command		check_printer_online!public
	notification_options	c,r
	register  		0
}

define service {