Volatile Service Problem

Verstege, Bernhard Bernhard.Verstege at hik.fzk.de
Tue Feb 25 16:21:39 CET 2003

Hi,

I set up a SNMP trap daemon which sends a passive check result
for coldStart traps to nagios.

In the service definition I set is_volatile 1.
Now, the first time a trap occurs, I get an email and
the event is logged. The state chenges from pending to warning.
The second time a trap occurs, the event is only logged, no state
change occurs (thats ok), but also I get no email.

The documentation shows:

>Volatile services differ from "normal" services in three important ways. Each time they are checked when they are in a hard non-OK
>state, and the check returns a non-OK state (i.e. no state change has occurred)...
>
>    * the non-OK service state is logged
>    * contacts are notified about the problem (if that's what should be done)
>    * the event handler for the service is run (if one has been defined)
>
>These events normally only occur for services when they are in a non-OK state and a hard state change has just occurred. In other
>words, they only happen the first time that a service goes into a non-OK state. If future checks of the service result in the same
>non-OK state, no hard state change occurs and none of the events mentioned take place again.

Can anyone explain, why I get an email only for the first trap ?

Thanks

Bernhard