Acknowledgements vs. changing states

Rasmus Plewe rplewe at hpce.nec.com
Mon Feb 24 12:40:55 CET 2003

Hello,

recently, I had a service that was changing between warning and
critical (time out) about once an hour. As it was night time, and the
problem not _that_ urgent, I acknowledged the problem and tried to
sleep again. My main source of waking up is the web frontend beeping,
and it does not beep for acknowledged problems (Nagios 1.0). However,
when changing from warning to critical and back the acknowledgement
vanished. And the system beeped.

Now, I know I could have handled it by disabling checks (might not
always be a good idea). But I would feel that once I acknowledge a
problem, it should stay acknowledged until it is "OK" again. Any
reason against this feeling?

Another problem was that, when the service was in warning state, it
apparently took only one "time out" to put it into a hard critical
state vs. the (for this service) usual five max_check_attempts. Which
documentation did I miss that states that when going from warning to
critical the max_check_attempts do not apply?

Regards,
         Rasmus