NSCA daemon deactivated due to excessive incoi ng connections?

Gerald Wichmann gwichman at zantaz.com
Fri Feb 21 01:44:53 CET 2003

Nevermind found the problem.. newer versions of xinetd have a "cps"
parameter that by default in xinetd.conf is set to "25 30".. this parameter
dictates the max # of connections per second (25) that a service can handle
before xinetd shuts it down (DOS attack protection).. the second argument
specifies how many seconds it waits before starting the service again (30)..

I just had to edit /etc/xinetd.d/nsca and add "cps 200 10" to increase the #
of connections per second it can handle.

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.
925.598.3099 (w)