check_load opinion

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Feb 21 01:51:18 CET 2003

First, I think you have a typo.  Hopefully what you've written isn't how you
have it in your config file.  I imagine you meant to make the final comma a
period, thus:

  check_load_ssh!5.00,5.05,5.50!9.00,9.10,9.50

Second, you *might* want to lower the last two values, eg:

  check_load_ssh!5.00,5.05,5.50!10.00,9.00,8.00

Of course, this would depend on whether your system is running pretty
smoothly with rare upward spikes, or whether it's running smoothly with rare
downward troughs.

To help you make the decision, can you run "sar -q" and get an idea of
whether it loses its mind slowly, or whether it happens pretty quickly?

Lastly, is the root cause of your system losing its mind out of your
control?  If brainstorming can help alleviate your pain....

jc