Apache suExec and /usr/local/nagios/etc permissions

Syed Ali syed at nec-labs.com
Thu Feb 20 19:02:53 CET 2003

Hello,

I am running Apache 1.3.20 on RedHat 7.2.
Apache runs under user 'apache'.
Nagios is running under user 'nagios'.

However, unless I do not give world readable permissions to
/usr/local/nagios/etc I cannot access the web interface for Nagios.
If I give world readable permission to /usr/local/nagios/etc, then users
on the system can view the SNMP RO community in the services.cfg or
checkcommands.cfg file.
So, how do I go about not allowing my users to be able to read the
/usr/local/nagios/etc directory?

I had disabled suExec on the httpd server for Cricket to run, but I am
willing to give up cricket and enable suEexec.
Reading the Apache suExec documentation, it looks like suExec works with
v2.0 of Apache and the virtual host directive, neither of which I am
using.
Also, it seems that suExec will work if you append the ~ but when I set
an alias as /~nagios /usr/local/nagios/share I get permission denied
reading ~nagios/etc/htpasswd file.
(Which means suExec is not working?)

Paste from httpd.conf:

  ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
    <Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/">
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Options ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
    Alias /nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
    <Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share/">
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Options None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

I also tried:

  Alias /~nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
    <Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share/">
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Options None
        Order allow,deny