Can I generate alert for bandwidth utilization ......?

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Thu Feb 20 07:22:20 CET 2003

Atul,

> Hello Mike,
>
> Can't it be possible with Nagios ......

Possible, yes.  Nagios is very flexible.  Would it be easy to do with Nagios alone?
Absolutely not.

> I can do it with Nagios for SNMP OID Gauge Values but I can't do it for SNMP OID
> Counter values ........ because the counter is the increment from the previous
> instance and for that I have to substract from the previous value ..... any help
> .... Thanks in advance.

Nagios is not a very good collector/archiver/analyzer for time-series data.  That is
why most sane people use another tool, like RRD, which is excellent for time-series
data.  Cricket is one of the front-ends for RRD, which happens to have the monitor
thresholds functionality built-in.  Why try to re-invent the wheel?

Not to mention the fact that you'd have to deal with the criteria of when the
threshold is met.  Do you really want to generate an alert when an interface hits
90% for only one 5-minute interval, then goes back down to 10% for the next one?
Data is very bursty by nature, so you'd generate a lot of alerts.  You need to read
the link that I sent; there are about a billion and a half options for threshold
criteria that have already been thought out.  It would take many many many lines of
code to reproduce that which has already been designed into Cricket.

It would not be horribly difficult for a competent systems integrator to configure
Cricket to send external commands to Nagios based on the monitor thresholds.  Nagios
is much better at dealing with notification logic than Cricket, of course, so that
would be the way to go.

--
Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com
mmcclure at pneservices.com
mobile: 913-636-5590