Host dependencies and notifications

SCOTT CECHOVIC scott.cechovic at adtran.com
Wed Feb 19 20:59:17 CET 2003

I am monitoring a network of several hosts, switches and routers.  I have configured host dependencies such that I do not receive pages on downstream hosts when a dependent upstream host is down or unreachable.  The problem I am encountering is when the upstream node (closest to the Nagios server)
goes down, I do not receive notifications for any hosts dependent on that upstream device (as expected) ... but when the upstream host becomes reachable/up, I receive UP notifications for all hosts dependent on the upstream that went into a HARD down/unreachable state.  According to the
"notification logic" documentation, an UP notification should never be sent on a device that did not trigger a DOWN/UNREACHABLE notification.

Can anyone explain this behavior and possibly instruct me on what needs to be done to suppress the UP notifications for all of the dependent devices?

Thanks,
Scott Cechovic