Obsessive Compulsive Problem

Jason Marshall jasonm at kelman.com
Wed Feb 19 19:26:27 CET 2003

> First, "su - nagios", then run:
>
> /opt/nagios/libexec/submit_check_result NAME_OF_HOST "SERVICE DESC"
> "CRITICAL" "PLUGIN OUTPUT"

$ /opt/nagios/libexec/submit_check_result aardvark "local-telnet" "OK" "Testing..."
1 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.

> Also, in the script, change all mentions of -1 to 3.  Unknowns are now 3

Roger that, Red Leader.

> Finally, do you have retain_nonstatus_information=1 for services?  My

I don't, actually.  Is that something I want?  Or something I want to make
sure isn't set?

Actually, I don't have it in my config file at all,

I added it, and Nagios choked on it -- I tried nonstatus and nonstate, and
neither was valid...

I do have use_retained_program_state=0 in my config, though.

> another thing to try would be to set that to 0, stop and start Nagios
> and see what it does.

I've stopped and started many times now...

> I'm just trying to brainstorm what the problem could be.  It's got to
> either be that "nagios" can't run it for some reason, or that nagios
> can't tell that it's supposed to run it.  Another test could be to

I think it's the latter -- that it's not aware that it's supposed to run
it. Which is weird, but not utterly unbelievable.

I'll try setting it to something that should work, though this box does
NOTHING other than monitor and (theoretically) tell the master server
what's going on, so there are no working notification scripts on it (yet).

---
Jason Marshall, Unix Geek, Kelman Technologies, Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada.

  From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
    "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."

  "I have great faith in fools:
     Self confidence my friends call it."  -Edgar Allan Poe