Trend Analysis and Performance History

Syed Ali syed at nec-labs.com
Wed Feb 19 03:16:16 CET 2003

Hello,

Nagios is doing a very good job in our environment of remote host and service monitoring.
However, it lacks trend analysis and performance history.
Although the Nagios documentation does talk about spitting output from plugins to a file and using RRDTOOL to chart your own data, it would be convenient if this feature was built-in. I am therefore  thinking of using OpenNMS for trend analysis and performance history.

Does anyone have any comments on using OpenNMS for trend analysis and performance history?
Or are there other tools that plugin with Nagios to do trend analysis and performance history, so that I can avoid the grunt work with rrdtool?

Some of things I am interested in charting include CPU load, disk space utilization, network interface utilization over a long period of time, (days, weeks, months) all of which I monitor currently  using check_snmp plugin with Nagios. Although I do have Cricket and MRTG setup for trend analysis, maintaining 3 tools is a hassle and I would rather stick with Nagios if I can. (Or perhaps Nagios and OpenNMS?) The histograms that come with Nagios, if they can be extended to chart such features such as the ones mentioned above, it would be very nice.

Thank you...