status.cgi character limit?

Greg Goston greg.goston at wholefoods.com
Wed Feb 12 22:05:05 CET 2003

Hi all,
    I'm setting up Nagios 1.0 on a Solaris 8 box for use in monitoring
various Oracle and Informix databases. I'm making a modified version of
the check_oracle_instance.pl plugin for this purpose. I need to have the
cgi interface display not only the tablespaces which pass the
warning/critical stage, but also those tablespaces which are ok. I've
hit a snag in the cgi, though: there seems to be a limit on the length
of the "status information" message that can be displayed, and some of
the info is getting chopped off for db's with lots of tablespaces. The
information that's being returned is fine; it appears to be just in the
cgi display that it's being truncated.
    My question: could anyone point me to a simple config modification
which would increase the length limit of this "status information"
message? I looked at the source code for status.c and MAX_MESSAGE_BUFFER
looked promising, but I don't know enough C to figure out what should be
changed and where, if anything. As an experiment I increased the amount
for both MAX_MESSAGE_BUFFER and MAX_INPUT_BUFFER (in common.h), but
after recompiling, there was no change in the display.
    Much thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide,
    greg
p.s. I'm using Perl 5.8.0, DBI 1.32, DBD::Oracle 1.12, DBD::Informix
1.04.PC1, Oracle 8.1.7, and Informix 7.3.