nsclient counters - detect increase / decrease

Mark Leddy mark_leddy at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 12 19:12:30 CET 2003

I have been able to run nsclient and check_nt to return the counters.
Works real nice!

Does anyone have or could anyone tell me some specifics on how I could check
the values returned against the previous check to see if the counter(s)
incremented, and if the counter has not incremented to give a warning or
critical status, alert, etc.?

One of the areas this would help is checking smtp mail flow, with Exchange
and Lotus Notes where a simple too high/ too low threshold does not apply.

Thanks,
Mark

Nagios output for smtp counter
SMTP Messages Received Total 77583

check command I am using:
define command{
        command_name    check_nt_smtptotalmsgreceived
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTNAME$ -p 1248 -v COUNTER -l
"\\SMTP Server(_Total)\\Messages Received Total","SMTP Messages Received
Total %.f"
}