website transaction monitor / simple web form SOLVED

Richard Gross rich at vel.net
Mon Feb 10 20:20:02 CET 2003

Here's the final result for my WWW::Mechanize perl script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# Check Communigate Pro webmail for Nagios

use WWW::Mechanize;
use diagnostics;

use lib "/usr/local/nagios/libexec" ;
use utils qw($TIMEOUT %ERRORS &print_revision &support);

my $browser = WWW::Mechanize->new();
$browser->get(" http://webmail.vel.net/ <http://webmail.vel.net/> ");

$browser->form(1);

$browser->field("Username", "test\@vel.net");
$browser->field("Password", "test06");
$browser->click("login");

$browser->follow("here");

$pattern = "INBOX";

$_ = $browser->{content};

if ( /$pattern/ ) {
        print "INBOX";
        exit $ERRORS{'OK'};
}
else
        {
        print ("ERROR: No response from webmail.vel.net\n");
        exit $ERRORS{'CRITICAL'};
        }

Hope this helps someone.  Thanks to Stanley for his input.

                                                                richg

Thanks for your approach.  I elected to try WWW::Mechanize and got
This far:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# Check Communigate Pro webmail for Nagios

use WWW::Mechanize;
use HTML::TokeParser;
use diagnostics;

my $browser = WWW::Mechanize->new();
$browser->get(" http://webmail.vel.net/ <http://webmail.vel.net/> ");

$browser->form(1);

$browser->field("Username", "test\@vel.net");
$browser->field("Password", "test06");
$browser->click("login");

$browser->follow("here");

$pattern = "INBOX";

$_ = $browser->{content};

if ( /$pattern/ ) {
        print "INBOX";
        exit 0;
}
else
        {
        print "CRITICAL";
        exit -1;
        }

I wrote this for the purpose of seeing whether webmail was up or not.
It
Was easy to monitor for SMTP and POP3.   I'd love to figure out SMTP
transaction to a POP3 box. Anyways...

The above works for the way I have Communigate Pro setup.  I know
everything is hard coded and I'm not taking any ARGV things.  My limited
knowledge of Perl is preventing me on how to send Nagios the results of
OK or CRITICAL.

Been trying to figure it out, but kinda stumped right now.  But Perl is
an
Amazing beast.  So few lines of code to do something very useful.

So, any ideas are appreciated.

                                                                richg