Config Question

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Feb 10 18:26:39 CET 2003

To answer your two questions:

1) Yes.

When I first set up Nagios, I had also set up the redundant check_ping
service.  Eventually I decided that that was a bit excessive, and removed
it.

2) Yes, that's what's supposed to happen.

We recently had a situation where the NT host in question (resident in the
DMZ) was pingable, but all the other services got alerted on, because the
firewall got gummed up with too many processes.  (This required manual
intervention on behalf of the firewall admin to clear up.)

FWIW, if you want to simplify the number of alerts you receive for anything
relating to check_nt, define some servicedependencies.  Maybe make them all
depend on a simple test such as checking for the version of NSClient that's
running.  That's what we're doing.

jc