check-host-alive

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Mon Feb 10 15:27:49 CET 2003

On 10 Feb 2003, Jeff McKeon wrote:

> Ok, this one is probably really simple...
>
> added a new host to the nagios config over the weekend, a 3COM switch.
> I didn't put any service checks on it because there's nothing really
> running on it because it's a switch.
>
> The status still says "Pending."  Shouldn't the default
> "Check-host-alive" command that is defined in the host file change the
> status to "up?"
>
> thanks,
>
> jeff

I could say "rtfm" ;)

Nagios doesn't do anything without services.

At the very least the switch is switching packets.  If you cannot monitor
that without snmp, you should be able to ping its ip address.

If it is an unmanaged device and you want to include it for parent/child
relationships, use the check_dummy plugin

--
-sg