Ping monitor problems

Chris McGee chris at xecu.net
Fri Feb 7 01:40:18 CET 2003

What check command are you using for the service, check_ping?  Make sure
you add in the additional arguments to that command otherwise it will not
register them all as unknown because it has no thresholds to compare to.
Look at the sample services.cfg file that comes with the distribution.

The line in your serviced file should look something like the following:

check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%

Also, if you do a '/pathtonagios/libexec/check_ping -h' you should get the
following explaining what arguments you need with the check command:

Usage:
       [-p packets] [-t timeout] [-L]

 check_ping (-h | --help) for detailed help
 check_ping (-V | --version) for version information

-H, --hostname=HOST
   host to ping
-w, --warning=THRESHOLD
   warning threshold pair
-c, --critical=THRESHOLD
   critical threshold pair
-p, --packets=INTEGER
   number of ICMP ECHO packets to send (Default: 5)
-t, --timeout=INTEGER
   optional specified timeout in second (Default: 10)
-L, --link

Sorry for the long post, but I think this will help you fix your problem.

Chris

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Craig Luke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Nagios, and have a problem which is probably due to some
> small configuration file problem.
>
> I now have the service working, and most of the interface functions
> correctly. My problem is that the status for PING on all the servers we
> are monitoring are showing as 'UNKNOWN', and are highlighted in orange.
> Can anyone shed some light as to what I might have done wrong?
>
> This is the status output for the ping on one of our servers:

> Current Status:   UNKNOWN
> Status Information: /bin/ping -n -U -c 5 server.domain.com
> Current Attempt: 1/3
> State Type: HARD
> Last Check Type: ACTIVE
> Last Check Time: 02-06-2003 23:24:32
> Status Data Age: 0d 0h 2m 14s
> Next Scheduled Active Check:   02-06-2003 23:29:32
> Latency: < 1 second
> Check Duration: < 1 second
> Last State Change: 02-06-2003 01:17:43
> Current State Duration: 0d 22h 9m 3s
> Last Service Notification: N/A
> Current Notification Number: 0
> Is This Service Flapping? N/A
> Percent State Change: N/A
> In Scheduled Downtime?   NO
> Last Update: 02-06-2003 23:26:35
>

> Service Checks:   ENABLED
> Passive Checks:   ENABLED
> Service Notifications:   ENABLED
> Event Handler:   ENABLED
> Flap Detection:   ENABLED
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Craig Luke.
>
> ---------------------
> Craig Luke
> Operations Director
> craig.luke at kualo.com
>
> Kualo Ltd.
> Danesbury House
> 17 Sydney Road
> London
> EN2 6TS
> United Kingdom
>
> Freephone: +44  800 138 3235
> Freefax: +44  800 138 3236
>
> 24/7 Web Support: http://helpdesk.kualo.com
> Kualo Community: http://forums.kualo.com
>
> Important: This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are
> not the intended recipient it may be unlawful for you to read, copy,
> distribute, disclose or otherwise use information contained in it.
>
> If this is the case, please contact us immediately by e-mail:
> mailadmin at kualo.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chris McGee                             301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access